Thursday, February 7, 2008

Notting Hill

Starring:
Hugh Grant
Julia Roberts

average rating: ★
~
performance:
screenplay:
plot/storyline:
cinematography:
~
Romantic Comedy

Notting Hill was actually much funnier than we thought it was going to be. I'd heard of it once, but that had been before I knew who on earth Hugh Grant was, and had thought it was just a silly romance.

Hugh Grant was hilarious, giving his stereotypical Hugh Grant performance (stuttering, thinking of ridiculous things to say, getting himself into ridiculous positions). His character was only slightly different from the characters in, say, Love Actually, or Music and Lyrics. He played a divorced British chap named William who lived in a flat with an insane Welshman and owned a travel-book store. I loved his character. But Julia Roberts wasn't so good. Her character was lame, as a matter of fact, and didn't deserve Hugh's character at all. She played a stereotypical movie star named Anna Scott who doesn't enjoy fame, who has a fling with a Brit while shooting some movie near Notting Hill (the village William lives in). Goo to you. Her mouth is too big, anyway.

The screenplay was hilarious, with lots of little lines that you might miss the first time. William's flatmate was equal parts funny and disgusting, while his family was 3 dimensional and cute. But the story was lame, honestly, the whole "movie star falls in love with regular chap" crap was really flat. If there had been an interesting spin on it, it might have been cool. But nope.

However, if you're a person with a good sense of humor and keen ears who is looking for a good laugh, watch it.

2 comments:

margaret said...

I think I saw that movie... yeah, Nodding Hill! I remember Julia gumming her way through it. Are you sure it was took place at a bookstore? I thought the "action" took place at the nearest nursing home.

My fave line was, "Put your teeth in, Hugh and then maybe you won't stutter so much!"

Oh wait... I think that was from from the Director's interview on the dvd. sorry.

margaret said...

I see I bungled a sentence. I-I-I think I have a grammatical stutter. I'll leave it to you to find the error.

does the homework ever end!